I just got this email:
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Boost Your Brain Power!
Redesign and Energize Your Brain at Any Age
Chicken Soup for the Soul is teaming with neurologist Dr. Marie Pasinski of Harvard Medical School to create a wonderful new book, full of inspirational stories and useful medical information, to help people maximize their brain power, no matter what their age or medical condition.
Who doesn’t want to be smarter, think faster, have a better memory? Many people would like to enhance their brainpower and are looking for help to do just that. We’re seeking stories about people who have improved their ability to think and use their brain in some way and as a result, improved their life. We are interested in normal Chicken Soup for the Soul stories on this issue. Your stories will provide the inspiration and motivation to those looking to get more from their grey matter, and Dr. Pasinski will provide the hard medical facts.
Here are some possible story topics, just to get your creative juices flowing:
- How picking up a new activity such as a language helped reshape your thinking
- How going on a diet not only made you thinner, it made you smarter
- How exercise has enhanced your mental clarity
- How you realized your brain is capable of extraordinary feats such as placing a face you hadn’t seen in 30 years
- What lessons you learned recovering from a brain injury such as a stroke or how obtaining the proper diagnosis and treatment for a medical condition (sleep disorder, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, etc.) turbo-charged your brain
- How taking charge of your thoughts allowed you to take charge of your life
- How letting go of limitations freed you from old ways of thinking
- How learning meditation helped you clear your head to make room for important stuff
- How meeting people and making new friends helped up your mental game
- And any other topic you think would be helpful to someone else who wants to boost their brain’s power
If your story is chosen, you will be a published author and your bio will be printed in the book if you so choose. You will also receive a check for $200 and 10 free copies of your book. You will retain the copyright for your story and you will retain the right to resell it.
Please remember, we do not like “as told to” stories. Please write in the first person about yourself or someone close to you. Do not ghostwrite a story for someone else. If a story was previously published, we will probably not use it unless it ran in a small circulation venue. Let us know where the story was previously published in the “Comments” section of the submission form. If the story was published in a past Chicken Soup for the Soul book, please do not submit it.
SUBMISSIONS GO TO http://chickensoup.com
Select the Submit Your Story link on the left tool bar and follow the directions.
The book is scheduled for publication in May 2012. Submission deadline is August 7th, 2011.