Break out your scriptwriting software and get to work, because the 4th Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest gives you the unique opportunity to turn this idea into a solid spec screenplay that could be your ticket to Hollywood success.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest is an international competition that facilitates relationships between new writers and Industry leaders looking to help aspirants embark on writing careers.
Working from this A-list logline from Todd Garner (Producer, Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Knight & Day, Jack and Jill), you’re challenged to create up to the first 15 pages of an original script based on the given concept. Make it your own – drama, action, sci-fi… anywhere your imagination takes you!
“A father and son find themselves trapped in the Bermuda Triangle after embarking on a quest to discover what happened to the father’s missing parents.”
But it doesn’t stop there. The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest goes much further than your average competition, by providing the top 10 finalists with mentors to guide them through the entire script creation process, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay to be judged by a panel of Hollywood power players.
Here’s how it works:
* Entrants write up to the first 15 pages of a script based on the logline above, provided by Todd Garner
* The top 10 finalists are chosen from the submissions, and receive a personalized letter of congratulations from Todd Garner
* Each of the 10 finalists receives a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter to professionally format their work as th ey enter into a 12-week Story Specialists mentoring program, consisting of feedback for every 10 pages submitted, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay based on the given logline
* After 10 weeks of mentoring, the finalists submit their rough drafts to our professional script readers for comprehensive Development Notes, and then have two weeks to work with their mentor and notes to complete the final draft of their screenplay for judging.
* Todd Garner and production company Benderspink judge the completed screenplays and choose a winner
The lucky winner receives transportation and lush accommodations at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, a classic Industry lunch with Todd Garner at The Ivy, a meeting with Benderspink, Energy Entertainment and more.
Fees, Dates and Deadlines:
* Contest Begins: October 1, 2011
* Standard Submission Fee and Deadline: $50 – December 31, 2011
Who is Todd Garner?
Todd Garner, the head of Broken Road Productions, is a veteran producer and Hollywood creative executive with a unique gift for creating and nurturing mainstream, commercial motion pictures. In various capacities throughout his career, Garner has developed, overseen, executive produced or produced well over 150 movies, many of them major hits for their respective studios. Formerly a founding partner of Revolution Studios and before that head of production at Disney, Garner founded Broken Road Productions in summer 2005.
Known for his strong relationships with top actors, directors and writers, Garner has numerous projects in various stages of development, pre-production, production, and post-production.
Broken Road is currently awaiting release of JACK & JILL with Adam Sandler and Al Pacino, and HERE COMES THE BOOM with Kevin James and Salma Hayek, both at Sony.
Broken Road most recently produced MGM and Sony’s ZOOKEEPER. The second partnership with Happy Madison Productions and Kevin James after MALL COP, ZOOKEEPER is about the animals at a zoo who break their code of silence to help a down-on-his-luck zookeeper (James) find love.
Hot on the heels of producing the runaway hit PAUL BLART: MALL COP, which grossed over $183 million at the box office worldwide, Broken Road produced KNIGHT AND DAY for Fox. KNIGHT AND DAY grossed over $261 million worldwide. The film starred Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Broken Road executive produced THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE for Walt Disney Pictures with Nicolas Cage starring. It grossed over $215 million worldwide.
Garner joined Revolution as a partner in May 2000. He was responsible for overseeing all aspects of development and production for the company’s motion pictures during its remarkable first five years. Garner oversaw such hit Revolution films as BLACK HAWK DOWN, HELLBOY and DADDY DAY CARE, and developed and served as executive producer on films like XXX, ANGER MANAGEMENT, RADIO, 13 GOING ON 30, THE FORGOTTEN, and ARE WE THERE YET?