Kenning wants your page poems & your spoken word poems. We want you to surprise us. We want poems that are funny, ferocious, beautiful, passionate, idiosyncratic. We want all forms, styles, and subjects as long as they make for good poems. We want your emotions, politics, bawdiness, and religious work. We don’t want your sentimental goop, your hate speech, your porn. We don’t want you to preach. We prefer form without formality. We prefer clarity to obscurity. We also prefer the complex to the simplistic (which is not the same thing as simple—but you already know that, yes?). We want you to move us! Most importantly, don’t bore us.
- Submissions should be 3-5 poems at a time.
- Send us a bio along with your submission.
- We do not accept previously published work (either in print or online).
- We want audio recordings of your poems. We want poems that can be read aloud in 5 minutes or less.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know immediately if your piece has been taken elsewhere.
- We accept submissions year round. We try to respond within 3 months, but our staff is small, so please feel free to get back to us if we haven’t responded within 3 months.
- If your piece has been accepted, we ask that you send us a sound file within 2 weeks, or the acceptance will be revoked. The sound file must be under 2MB. Please do not send audio files unless we’ve notified you of an acceptance.
- Unfortunately, we cannot pay authors at this time.
We ask accepted contributors to grant us First North American Serial Rights ( one-time rights) and exclusive rights for 6 months following your work’s publication in Kenning Journal.