Fantasy For Good is a charity anthology from Nightscape Press that will follow in the footsteps of the Bram Stoker Award®-nominated Horror For Good, which continues to raise funds for amfAR. Our intention is to collect together the very best fantasy short fiction by established names as well as talented newcomers, so we can raise as much money as possible for a leading colon cancer charity. So far we’ve announced stories from Michael Moorcock, Nnedi Okorafor, Piers Anthony and Alan Dean Foster, with more big names to come!
Most slots will be filled by invite only, but we are leaving some room for unsolicited stories. If you would like to submit a story to us we would be happy to consider it, but PLEASE read and follow our guidelines or risk disqualifying yourself.
- There is no theme for this anthology.
- We are looking for stories from any sub-genre of fantasy, from epic to urban.
- You may set your story in an established world owned by you, using characters owned by you, but please ensure your submission can be read as a standalone story without prior knowledge.
- Do not use elements of other writers’ work.
- Send us a story that is a complete story! We’re not looking for a few scenes from your WIP or a rambling tale that goes nowhere and has nothing to say.
- Original stories only please. No reprints. Nothing that you have put on your website for free. No short stories that you added to the end of your self-published novel on Amazon as a bonus.
- Reading window is from July 1st to August 31st 2013. Stories submitted outside of this window will be deleted unread.
- Story length should be between 1,000 to 7,000 words. If your story is longer, query us first.
- No simultaneous or multiple submissions please.
- E-mail your story to email@example.com with the subject line:
Submission: <story title> – <author name>
Submission: Fairy Dust – James McJames
- Include your story as an attachment to the email.
- Story can be in .doc or .docx or .rtf format.
- The filename should include the story title and your name.
- Include in the body of your email a brief (<100 words) description of your story and tell us about your writing credits (also <100 words!)
- Please format your story per the Shunn standard.
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this post, or you can contact us via our Facebook page – it is a good idea to like the Facebook page to receive updates on the anthology and announcements about contributors.
Please note that because this is a charity collection there will be no payment for accepted stories. You will receive one print copy and one e-copy of the book once it is published (target is March 2014). We ask for one year exclusive rights on your story but copyright remains with the author.