Just got this email:
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive for Great Health!
Use Your Mind to Promote Your Own Healing and Wellness
Chicken Soup for the Soul is teaming with Dr. Jeff Brown of Harvard Medical School to create a wonderful new book, full of inspirational stories and useful medical and psychological information, to help people use positive thinking to improve their health.
The connection between our minds and bodies is powerful. Whether we experience a short-lived sickness, battle chronic illnesses, or simply want to live a consistently healthy life, our brains can serve as our most trusted ally when it comes to getting better, managing symptoms, and sustaining a healthy life.
We are seeking stories that highlight the successful relationship between your brain and your health. We’re interested in hearing from people who are successful at maintaining healthy lifestyles, who daily win the battles over various symptoms, who have learned to integrate their thinking into a rehabilitation process, who have found innovative brain tricks for managing health, who have learned about themselves more deeply as a result of a medical condition, who stay motivated in spite of chronic symptoms, etc. Your stories will provide the inspiration and encouragement, while Dr. Brown provides the medical facts and psychological strategies.
Here are some possible story topics, just to get your creative juices flowing:
* How has optimism, hope, wisdom or positive thinking affected your health?
* What brain tricks have you learned to manage your particular health condition? (Quitting smoking, losing weight, irritable bowel syndrome, skin problems, diabetes, infertility, heart conditions, HIV, anxiety, depression.)
* What behaviors have you changed that make you live a healthier life? How did you do it?
* How have relationships with others helped you feel well?
* How has successfully grieving for something or someone helped you feel better?
* Describe how spirituality, humor, or meditation has been part of your health.
* What negative emotions have affected your health?
* Has changing your sleep habits affected your health?
* And any other topic you think would be helpful to someone else in your position
If your story is chosen, you will be a published author and your bio will be printed in the book if you so choose. You will also receive a check for $200 and 10 free copies of your book. You will retain the copyright for your story and you will retain the right to resell it.
Please remember, we do not like “as told to” stories. Please write in the first person about yourself or someone close to you. Do not ghostwrite a story for someone else. If a story was previously published, we will probably not use it unless it ran in a small circulation venue. Let us know where the story was previously published in the “Comments” section of the submission form. If the story was published in a past Chicken Soup for the Soul book, please do not submit it.
SUBMISSIONS GO TO http://chickensoup.com
Select the Submit Your Story link on the left tool bar and follow the directions.
The book is scheduled for publication in May 2012.
Submission deadline is August 15, 2011.